Many people think that putting away family pictures or mowing the lawn when selling a home is not really necessary. Afterall, the four walls and roof that make up your home is what really counts. Yet study after study shows that taking the time to do a few maintenance items around the house before putting it up for sale can make the difference in selling the home and potentially thousands of dollars difference in the offer price. Go through the list below and try to tick off as many items as possible before selling your home.
Interior Home Maintenance:
– Repair leaking taps and toilets.
– Repair cracked plaster.
– Apply coat of paint or touch up where necessary.
– Clean and repair windows.
– Oil squeaking doors.
– Eliminate pet odors and stains.
– Clean bathrooms, appliances, carpets, and drapes.
Exterior items that will increase curb appeal:
– Keep the lawn nicely cut and trim hedges.
– Clean out the garage and clean up oil spills.
– Power wash windows and exterior walls.
– Repair any broken window screens.
– Clean porch and remove flyers and old newspapers.
– Fresh paint or varnish the front door.
– Plant colourful inexpensive flowers.
Create a Buying Mood for the Home Buyer:
– Make sure your home smells fresh and clean.
– Turn on lights and air conditioner or heater.
– Open the drapes to create natural light.
– Clear halls and stairs of clutter and store surplus furniture.
– Clear kitchen counter and stove top.
– Clear closets of unnecessary clothing.
– Put away personal photos so buyers can envision the property as their home.